A Hilton Head Resident for more than 38 years, Captain Larry Watts may be best known for being a beloved veterinarian or his work as the local veterinarian for the National Marine Mammal Stranding Program. What many may not realize is that Captain Watts would spend all of his off time cruising local waters on his boat indulging his love of photography and wildlife. After taking an early retirment, he decided to combine his passions for boating, wildlife and photography and offer them to the many locals and visitors who desire to see Hilton Head Island in a whole new way.
Larry Watts’ Tips for Photographing Wildlife
• Don't shoot on manual. When things happen out there, they happen fast.
• Be observant. Watts said that when he takes my camera with him, he notices a lot more.
• Be patient. Watts has been known to stay in one spot for more than an hour to get the right photo.
• Know your subject. Research the animals you're photographing to learn their temperament so you can gauge how they'll react in your presence.
• Be creative and have fun.